Early Years Foundation Stage
To help your child settle well and to get to know you as parents and carers, an induction programme of nursery visits and meetings at school will be arranged in the summer term. During these visits, you can let us know relevant information about your child in order to give them the best possible start. There is also an open day at the school, where we outline the induction process.
We offer full places for all EYFS children in September 2018. For the past two academic years, all children have been given the opportunity to start full time at Camulos Academy. The feedback from parents, and children, has been overwhelmingly positive, as many children already attend full days at their nursery or pre-school. This approach has not only minimised disruption to parents, but has helped settle the children swiftly into school life. However, if this approach is not working for your child, you can discuss personalised transition with our EYFS Lead and SENco.
The Foundation Stage Curriculum
The Foundation Stage curriculum is divided into seven areas:
- Communication and Language: opportunities for children to express themselves, speak and listen.
- Physical Development: opportunities for children to be active and interactive, and to develop their co-ordination, control, and movement, as well as their self-care and healthy food choices.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: building and maintaining relationships, self-confidence, self-awareness and managing feelings / behaviours.
- Literacy: encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to learn to read and write.
- Mathematics: opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, addition and subtraction and to describe shapes, spaces, and measures.
- Understanding the World: guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community.
- Expressive Arts and Design: enabling children to explore and play with a wide range of media.
The children build up a Learning Journey showing some examples and photgraphs of their activities. These contribute to the teachers assessments of each child. You will be invited to contribute to, share and ask about your child’s Learning Journey.
At Camulos Primary Academy, we use the synthetic phonics program ‘Read Write Inc’ (www.ruthmiskin.com). This a highly successful, cohesive and creative approach to teaching children to read and write and is used by many schools up and down the country.